Pages

18 June, 2016

Top Gear (Old New)

Image c BBC
Top Gear
5 / 5

Series: 22 Aired: 2002 - 2015
Channel: BBC Two
Writer: Various
Cast: The Stig, Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May


Hold on... Top Gear isn't a comedy programme?

Get outta here.



The only reason I watch Top Gear is because it's hilarious. Maybe I'm being a bit naughty by writing it up as a comedy review, but the sole reason I watch it is because it makes me laugh: if that's not the definition of a comedy then I don't know what is. I have no interest in cars; not really. I can see the beauty in some (Aston Martin Vanquish and Jaguar e-type* hellooo), but otherwise they're just killing machines** for lazy people.

Top Gear has been with me my whole adult life. I have never missed an episode since about 2006. In 1977 it started out as a magazine show that was transmitted to the Midlands only at first; pretty much just reviewing cars and talking about cars and I don't think they said "torque" once back then. Presenters from the first run of the show include Noel Edmonds (!), Angela Rippon (!!) and Jon Bentley (fair enough).

The reboot saw a different take as it turned from being a magazine show in to a studio-based one, and it really became more of an entertainment platform rather than an information/documentary type. Whilst it's true it has become slightly controversial (another reason I find it to be more leaning toward the comedy angle) I still find myself thoroughly entertained by it. I've learnt more from Top Gear than school, though I still can't tell you what torque is.

The controversy that has been around Top Gear for the past couple of years hasn't put me off the series. It's still a good show: they have made some bad decisions, but I don't think any of it has been as bad as a lot of things happening on television. If the BBC did decide to axe the current presenters for whatever reason (or they're killed by ex-KGB for saying Sputnik was stupid), I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy it then. I think they make it, and it makes them.

I don't know. Maybe I'm blinded by my laughter each week, but I certainly haven't found it to be anything other than an enjoyable television programme.



Come on. It's a comedy.


*In Racing Green, obv.
**Mostly the environment but also a lot of people, as well

No comments:

Post a Comment