Pages

19 June, 2016

House of Fools

image c BBC
House of Fools
4 / 5

Series: Two
Aired: 2014 - 2015
Channel: BBC Two
Writers: Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer
Cast: Vic Reeves, Bob Mortimer, Matt Berry, Morgana Robinson, Dan Skinner, Daniel Simonsen et al

Oooooh, Vic & Bob. If there is anyone who can almost hold a flame up against Rik & Ade, it's Vic & Bob. Double Acts are a curiously British thing, I think. With Morcambe & Wise, it was traditional that there be a straight man and a comic in a comedy duo (though I could probably argue all day about how Wise was funnier than Morcambe at times), but the 80s comedy resurgence put this idea to bed as most comedy duos since then have been Full On Comic from both members. With Vic & Bob it's the same.

House of Fools is set in Bob's house, a tranquil place he shares with his half-Norwegian son Erik, until Vic invites himself to live there, alongside Vic's brother Bosh who was released from jail before the series began. Next door neighbour's Beef (Matt Berry) and Julie (Morgana Robinson) appear at the house uninvited, but always with a song. It's traditional sitcom rules when it comes to setting and format, but in between it is anything but.

If you've seen anything by Vic & Bob before you'll probably already have an understanding of what might occur within this House of Fools. Aptly titled, it often seems as if Bob is the only sane one, usually at the beginning of each episode, but by the end we realise that it truly is just a House full of Fools. Surrealism is their trade-mark, as is a good ole bit of British Slapstick, so prepare yourself for frying pan's to the face and impossible situations that always become resolved somehow.

The fundamental character of this story is Bob, and the fundamental plot revolves around him: his desire to get along with his son, Erik, and his desire to get Vic and Bosh out of his house. It's also quite apparent from the off that nobody particularly likes Bob much, not even the ghost that pops up in the first series (played by Reece Shearsmith yespleasealldaylong). The other thing you should know is that each episode begins and ends with a song-a very weird, lyrical but out-of-tune, anarchic song that will have you crying at the absurdity of it.

And who can resist the lure of Matt Berry's voice? Not I. Or the casual nature of Bosh calling everyone a twat? Not I. Or the Best of British slapstick available continuously? Not I. Or the voracious sexual appetite of Beef and the way he says "arms as long as oars"? Not I. Or the way Julie takes a photograph of Vic's trouser snake at every opportunity? Not I. Or the dry-retching provided by Erik at absolutely everything his father does? Not I.

I feel like I need to justify my 4 out of 5 star rating, just because I've raved about this but haven't given it the maximum. The only reason is because I feel like Vic & Bob could do better: it's brilliant but it's not the perfection I know they can achieve. Shooting Stars was mind-blowing for me and I wanted this to be the sitcom version of Shooting Stars. It's completely my fault for having such high expectations, so you could probably chalk this one down as a 4.5 at least.


No comments:

Post a Comment