Pages

10 June, 2016

Scrotal Recall

image c Channel 4
Scrotal Recall
0 / 5

Channel: Channel 4
Series: One
Aired: 2014
Cast: Johnny Flynn, Daniel Ings and Antonia Thomas et al


Puns are a no-go unless you're binning them after a day (newspaper headlines per example). Everyone who worked on this show has to live with Scrotal Recall forever now. Everyone. For the rest of their lives. It'll always be there lurking behind them. They can leave it off their CVs, but IMDB will always exist and have it.

I had the same problem with this comedy as a lot of comedy on TV these days: it just wasn't funny. I'm not sure if I was the target audience. I'm young. I like having fun. I quite enjoy puns to be honest. Maybe when they though "young" they thought "men" straight after. I don't know. I just feel like Channel 4 are going down the same route with every comedy since The IT Crowd ended. All of the characters are complete Mary Sues; yes, that's more of a book term but it can be cross-mediumed (not a word but work with me here) in to this format: dull, boring main character trying to find himself; boisterous, womanising wing-man and the token female friend to keep the whole thing grounded (as far as that's possible). Not to mention the pathetic man in the first episode getting married to the Bridezilla. It felt just a bit too American, and even that comparison was executed terribly.

Channel 4 called this an "infectious comedy series" and I'm just going to leave it at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment