Pages

09 June, 2016

Detectorists

Image c BBC
Detectorists
2 / 5

Channel: BBC Four
Series: One
Aired: 2014
Cast: Mackenzie Crook, Toby Jones, Rachael Stirling, Aimee-Ffion Edwards et al

My first impression of Detectorists after one episode was not a good one, but after the second episode I found it endearing and quite charming. I can't pin-point the reason, but I think it was just a slow starter and, like a lot of comedies and other TV programmes, it used the first episode just as a way of introducing everything, as opposed to jumping right in. In subsequent episodes, however, and after all the introductions had been made and the plot had been pretty well laid, we get down to the nitty-gritty and quite cut-throat world of detectoring. (FYI detectoring is the correct term, not detecting.)

Detectorists follows Andy and Lance, two friends who enjoy Detectoring together in fields and then sharing their finds (mostly ring pulls and crisps packets) with their local Detectoring club down the pub. The plot thickens when a young History student, Sophie, wanders in amongst them wanting to learn more (with both grown men going all a bit teenage virgin around her) and some Antiquisearchers (Antique Searchers) muscle in on their territory, wanting to make sure the Detectorists do right by their finds in as legal and boring manner as possible.

I've not found it funny, which is obviously the main point of a comedy, but I do find it pleasant and I quite like the storyline. I can't say I'm endeared towards all of the characters, though the pitiful personality of Toby Jones' Lance and the naivety of Mackenzie Crook's Andy are two character types I've never come across together before, and they bounce off each other really well. With the introduction of the Antiquisearchers we got more jokes and better lines, which was enjoyable and I didn't find it strained or flat at all.

It's charming, well acted, pleasant enough and worth a watch because it doesn't pigeon-hole the nerdier types, but brings to them the fore and treats them as they should be: just people.

No comments:

Post a Comment