Pages

23 June, 2016

Ross Noble Freewheeling

Image c Dave
Ross Noble Freewheeling
4 / 5

Series: 3
Aired: 2013 - 2015
Channel: Dave
Writer: Ross Noble (and tweeters)
Cast: Ross Noble



This is comedy for comedy's sake.

Dave are very good at this. In between old Top Gears (back in the day when they weren't all that racist), redneck hillbillies running around America doing various banal things and several thousand repeats of QIHave I Got News For You and Red Dwarf, Dave have a few of their own attempts at Making Comedy, and they're pretty good at it, in their own way.

Much like Alan Davies's As Yet UntitledRoss Noble Freewheeling is a no-format comedy (in a manner of speaking), wherein it pretty much lies on the shoulders of the eponymous comedian to really take off. The premise-such as there is-is the most simple comedy premise there has ever been: Ross Noble sits astride his motorbike and asks his followers on Twitter to send him somewhere in the country to do something. It's that simple.

But there is a catch. He prefers doing things aren't run-of-the-mill. Things that won't be full of tourists or have been seen before on TV. Things that are, like Ross Noble, a little bit out-there. And it certainly has to pique his interest. I've watched this since the first minute of the first episode of the first series and I'm still not entirely sure what Noble's interests are: they're as diverse as the kind of tweets he gets.

If you're not familiar with Ross Noble you might not really get this programme. You kind of need to be a fan of either Noble or his kind of humour to really appreciate Freewheeling for what it is. I have known of Noble for a good few years and my love of him is only over-shadowed by my sheer-hatred of him for giving me a memory that haunts me every single day of my waking life. If you have seen his Mindblender live DVD you will know what I mean when I say the words "sweet sweet piggy titties". If you don't, it's probably best that you never do. You'll never be the same again.

In any case, it's the kind of comedy that will make you laugh. In the intro, Noble promises that you won't learn anything, but I disagree. I've certainly learnt a lot about my own country through his travels, being someone who appreciates the non-tourist honey-pot sights and sites that it possesses. It's a comedy for laughing non-stop for 20 minutes (with adverts in between to hate your job and wife and life). It's a comedy for forgetting you hate your job and wife and life. It's a comedy for comedy's sake.

It's just great comedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment