Pages

22 June, 2016

Misfits

Image c Channel 4
Misfits
1 / 5

Series: 5
Aired: 2009 - 2013
Channel: E4
Writer: Howard Overman (Jon Brown and Mike O'Leary)
Cast: Iwan Rheon, Robert Sheehan, Lauren Socha, Nathan Stewart-Jarrett, Antonia Thomas et al


WARNING: This review contains spoilers.

I am slightly jumping the gun on this one, since I haven't finished the series, but I felt I had to write a review of it now, just so that when I do finish the entire series, I can look back on my initial reactions. Currently I've been watching series one and two, and I am on to the final episode on Series Two and I have to say it's probably the shittest thing I've seen in a while. And yet I really like it.

Let's start with the premise: five young offenders are sent to do community service and during a storm gain super powers. That's pretty much the nugget of the whole thing, but it turns out a lot of other people gained super powers during the same storm and they all seem to cross paths with the young offenders.

I'll talk about why I think it's shit first of all. First and foremost, one of the key things in all comedies (or in comedy-dramas, or in dramas, or in whatever else I'm watching) is that I like the characters and want to see them succeed in whatever it is they're doing. With Misfits I absolutely hate every single character, except the third probation worker who turns up half-way through series two. I just... they're all tiny little twats, even Simon the Weirdo. When Nathan died in series one I genuinely felt happy about it. But then it turns out his super power is he's immortal, which is a huge bummer. In the episode I've just watched, they all die.

But then Mr Time-Rewinder (whatever his name is: I haven't really been paying attention to their names) stops that from happening. It's an odd mixture of wanting to find out what happens but secretly hoping they all die horribly, or change in to nice people. Y'know, better themselves or something. I can see a little bit of that happening, but even so, Jesus they are all arseholes.

Secondly, a lot of the mini-storylines are completely implausible and ridiculous. I know, I know, super powers from a storm? But bear with me. That's a really good fantasy storyline and I can get along with fantasy storylines. In series two when they kill their THIRD PROBATION WORKER (having killed the previous two, as well) I'm pretty sure I tutted out loud. (But Mr Time-Rewinder stops them from killing him.)

The main storyline I enjoy. The fact that other people (and not just kids or young adults) have super powers is wonderful. The fact that their powers are intrinsically linked to their personalities is really intriguing (Simon can turn invisible, which links to his self-conscious and introvert personality and Kelly can read people's minds which links to her caring too much about what other people think of her) and I am genuinely interested to see them use their powers (either for good or to kill another probation worker, whichever).

But occasionally a storyline pops up which is just utterly moronic and makes me start tutting again. It's a weird mix of good world-building with terrible plot writing. The writing can be good, but it can also be quite dire. One of the main reasons I am continuing to watch it is because I know the cast changes dramatically at some point during the series. I remember when the latter series were on the telly (I never watched it but I do recall wanting to) and seeing totally different characters to what I'm seeing now in the early stages. I am curious to find out what happens to them all, and where these new guys come from. I do find it very funny, though. Nathan the Arsehole (real name) is just an absolute arsehole (I am really trying hard not to say the c-word) but he is funny. He's like Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory: an utter idiot, so completely bereft of any idea how to act as a human being, and yet quite endearing and humorous. But thankfully they're fictional and I only have to put up with them both in small segments at a time.

It's also very human at times, which is a good thing in comedy. A lot of the time comedies (especially fantasy or sci-fi comedy) really try to make it human and they just go too far: they exaggerate it, or make the "being human" aspect much too obvious. This is quite subtle, and good at it. It's also really hard to rate. The comedy is sometimes 5 / 5, and often it's -5 / 5. Storyline is the same, though I think character-wise, they're all -5 billion. Yeah, it's good. It's a comedy-drama, which means the comedy aspect of it doesn't have to be rip-roaringly funny 24 / 7, and I'm kind of glad of that. If it was a straight-up comedy I think it would fail dramatically.

I don't think you have to be young to enjoy this, either. I realised most of E4's programmes are youth orientated (a remnant of their 80s success at being The Young People's Channel and trying to rekindle that glory with mixed results) but some of them have been clever enough to be watchable by any ages. Though it's weird, since this is full of sex and swearing and nudity and violence that it's actually labelled as 18+. That one is a bit dodgy. All in all it's pretty good. I suppose that's all you can say about it, really.

Edit: After watching the final episode, I thought it was very apt that it ended with someone actually getting raped. Fitting. Downgraded from 3 / 5 to 1 / 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment