Pages

16 June, 2016

Alan Davies: As Yet Untitled

image c Dave
Alan Davies: As Yet Untitled
2 / 5

Series: 3
Aired: 2014 - present
Channel: Dave
Writer: N / A
Cast: Alan Davies et al

I really wanted to love this programme but I'll have to settle for mild like. It's very unique (though I recall an accusation of infringement of the idea from a while back that I assume, with a second series being shown now, has been resolved) and quite charming in its way, but not really why I watch television comedy. If I wanted anecdotes I'd buy comedians autobiographies (which I do) or go to a pub that is largely inhabited by comedians after shows and eavesdrop.

The premise is probably the most simple you'll ever come across: five comedians plus host Alan Davies (though the need for a host is fairly doubtful) sit around a table with drinks and share humorous anecdotes. The table is largely reminiscent of a public house affair without the banal graffiti scrawled over it and the drinks add a relaxed atmosphere to the already comatose situation the panelists guests find themselves in. It's a bit Would I Lie To You? without a shiny set and winning.

I find nothing particularly wrong with this and that's probably why I watch it for the most part. I have indeed laughed out loud, but that's not because of the show itself but because of the guest who spoke at that time. When I laugh out loud at a "proper" comedy (i.e. a sitcom) it's the programme I am laughing at and not the actor/comedy actor (different things, apparently). In any other situation, except maybe one involving hostages, I would laugh at these anecdotes and stories without second-thought and that kind of makes the whole show redundant in a way.

I find the presence of an audience very odd as well, though I understand completely why they have them. It's just what you do with a comedy programme. I doubt it would feel any less real or more weird if it was just the six people around the table laughing, and, though it does feel like those around are awkwardly listening in on a conversation they haven't strictly been invited in to, they neither give or take anything away except their laughter, which I suppose is the point.

Honestly, it's funny and sometimes interesting and comedians telling jokes is what they do, but it's not gripping and it's not the main reason I watch comedy; I'd say it was easy and pleasant. The fact that these jokes are personal may make more people tune in, or it may not. Dave are getting pretty good and making their own TV currently, though it's more about who they get to do it as opposed to how they do what it is they're doing.


No comments:

Post a Comment